Right now, the best jobs are limited to people in a handful of the world’s wealthiest cities, yet brilliant people are everywhere. Driven to overturn the status quo and distribute opportunities equally around the world, Oyster launched its global employment platform to help companies hire, pay, and care for talent anywhere.
When it comes to global employment, we walk the walk. We’re proof that companies don't need an office to create a highly-engaged culture. Since the company’s inception in January 2020, Oyster has:
🌏 Created a fully-distributed, vibrant team of 500+ employees across 60+ countries
🌈 Established a diverse leadership team and an employee base that’s 60% female
🏆 Achieved one of the highest employee engagement scores in its class
🦄 Raised $150 million in Series C funding at a valuation of over $1 billion!
Our momentum speaks to the power of global employment—and we’re just getting started! If you want to change the world with Oyster and be empowered to work remotely while doing so, we’d love for you to apply!
The Role 👩💻
Location: While this position is posted in a specific location, all of Oyster’s positions are fully remote and you can work from home. Forever. To create the best experience for our new hire (you?!) this role does require that you are based within 5 hours +/- from EST timezone.
Oyster is looking for a Director of Customer Experience (HR/Operations) to help us build and deliver a best-in-class Team Member hiring experience. This is a critical role within the Customer Experience organization reporting directly to the head of both the Customer Success and Hire Business Units. This person will be instrumental in shaping our hiring and team member strategy and operations, including continuing to build out and organize the team, developing and delivering on an automation strategy in conjunction with Product Management to deliver quality and scale, evolving all existing manual processes, and developing the cross-functional infrastructure to ensure customer and team member success.
The Director of Hire should have extensive experience leading customer success, support, account management or operations teams for technology companies, can develop and execute a strategy in a hyper-growth technology environment, and will be passionate about the Oyster mission.
What you'll do…
- Develop and execute a global Hire strategy
- Lead and develop a world class customer-focused team
- You will be a people manager to multiple Hire Leads who manage geographic or speciality pods supporting team member onboarding
- Work with Customer Operations to review capacity against demand and agree on related hiring plans, as well as participate in the hiring process
- Be a key driver of prioritizations regarding building out direct entities throughout the world
- Build and support a migration process for indirect to direct hiring entities
- Ensure that Employer of Records (EORs) we partner with around the world deliver a great team member experience
- Increase team member satisfaction thereby influencing customer satisfaction, retention and growth in partnership with the Account Management and Customer Success teams
- Make data-driven decisions to inform operations and performance management
- Partner with customer operations to implement technology, processes, and reporting to ensure a high performing organization
- Lead operational design, metric and goal development for Hire Business Unit
- Build consensus among hire Business Unit internal partners including Legal, Finance, People Services, Global Ops, Customer Ops, Product Management, Product Marketing, Customer Success and Customer Support
- Develop a deep understanding of the Customer and Team Member journey and work cross-functionally to evolve it to the ideal customer experience
- Own escalations from Customer and Team Members through guidance to the team or providing an escalation point to the customer
- Implement solid governance structures to ensure delivery tracks to agreed service levels, and quality frameworks
- Own allocations of new work requests creating an allocation method based on factors such as capacity, skillset, urgency
What we're looking for 📜
- 12+ years experience, with 6+ in a customer-facing or operations leadership role
- Technology company experience, ideally in a SaaS company during a period of hypergrowth with a deep understanding of working with a product roadmap driven planning cycle
- Demonstrated experience leading and developing high performance global teams
- A highly analytical, process-oriented and not afraid to get into the details
- Customers obsessed mindset
- A proven track record of delivering on KPIs
- Experience working in a matrixed cross functional organization
- BONUS: Experience in HR technology companies
- BONUS: Experience in other customer facing functions such as Account Management, Customer Success or Support
- BONUS: Experience with distributed teams
- BONUS: Familiarity with agile team practices, tools, and framework
You'll also need...
- A reliable home internet connection (or be able to get one)
- Fluent English language skills
🦪 How we work together at Oyster
Our values guide the work we do, the decisions we make, and the culture that makes us special. We elevate talent. 🙌 We build trust. 🤝 We thrive together. 🌍
Our mission is to create a more equal world—one global hire at a time. Everything we do ladders up to our mission—and that doesn’t just mean building software. We develop programs, participate in workshops, and create dedicated teams to ensure we successfully support companies and knowledge workers in this new world of work.
We embrace asynchronous communication and collaborative work—and we share how we work in the Oyster Public HQ —to help other global teams learn from our experiences.
💌 How YOU work
Different countries have different statutory benefits, different cultures have different norms, and different people have different needs! In order to best support and encourage our diverse team, we’ve created How YOU Work; a program of policies, practices, and perks to support your whole human experience as an employee at Oyster.
- Work from anywhere: Oyster is a borderless, HQ-less company. As long as your work gets done on time, your team has the support they need, and you're authorized to work where you live, the world is truly your Oyster.
- Paid time off: We’re all about taking breaks—we all need it. Oyster provides employees with 40 days off each year, which includes public/bank holidays and vacation/holiday leave (unless your country mandates more).
- Mental health support: We consider your mental health a top priority. We offer access to Plumm, a mental well-being service, to support your mental health.
- Wellbeing allowance: Each month, Oyster will top up your Juno wallet with a wellbeing allowance. Juno Points can be applied to anything that helps you show up to work as your best self, whether that’s your internet bill, a class, gym membership, or houseplants. The choices are endless!
- Flexible parental leave: Families are created in lots of different ways. Our parental leave policy applies to all employees who are becoming parents, regardless of how they become a parent. Oysters are eligible for a minimum of three months of paid parental leave and your job will be held for 12 months (or longer if required by local jurisdiction).
- WFH stipend: We give you a laptop and $1500 for equipment so you can have your remote office up and running in no time. Check out Equipment at Oyster for more details.
✨ The best jobs should be available to everyone
At Oyster, we celebrate a variety of perspectives and experiences and we’ve intentionally built our product and our company with an inclusive, global mindset. We know from experience that people from underrepresented groups often don’t apply for roles they don’t feel they meet all the criteria for. We’re committed to elevating talent by creating a trust-based environment where we can all thrive together. So if you think you have what it takes, but don’t necessarily check every single box, please consider applying. We’d love to hear how you might contribute to our mission and our team.
Oyster is committed to ensuring equal opportunity of employment for qualified persons with disabilities and actively fosters an inclusive work environment. Please email email@example.com with the subject line: Interview Accommodations if you require any reasonable accommodations throughout the recruiting process.