Varsity Tutors is searching for a Payroll Manager to join our fast-growing team! The Payroll Manager will oversee payroll in a hands-on role that will process and manage all facets of U.S. and International payroll operations. The individual in this role will be responsible for accurate and timely payroll processing, addressing employee pay questions, quick resolution to payroll issues, development and documentation of repeatable and scalable payroll processes, and other duties as assigned. This role will be responsible for designing and executing best-in-class strategies and processes, to drive accuracy, timeliness and efficiency. This position will report directly to the Director of Human Resources and will work remotely and/or from of our corporate headquarters in St. Louis, Missouri.
- ADP end to end payroll processing experience and knowledge required
- Three (3) plus years of corporate payroll experience with ADP required
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field is preferred
- Experience in running a full payroll cycle, ideally having set up payroll for multiple types of employees, contractors, and locations
- Understanding of payroll taxes, social insurances, and employee benefits laws, regulations, and requirements
- Demonstrable experience of driving change and improvements in payroll processes with an emphasis on scale and automation.
- Demonstrated ability to execute according to defined timelines
- Ability to thrive and effectively operate in a fast-paced, hands-on environment
- Ability to function both independently and as a team member
- Highly organized and high attention to detail
- Impeccable attention to detail and accuracy
- Proficiency in MS Excel, experience with ERP software preferred (not required). Note, Varsity Tutors utilizes NetSuite (Oracle)
- Experience with equity management or stock plan administration is a plus
- Manage and direct the overall payroll function for the company encompassing both hourly and salaried employees, and contractors
- Reconcile the company’s payroll, resolving any issues and answering any questions which may arise
- Coordinate and collaborate across multiple teams to ensure all payroll information is complete
- Act as a quality control review to ensure the payroll is accurately processed, paid and recorded
- Manage internal timelines, calendars and drive the process to ensure payroll is processed on time
- Be first point of contact with employees on all payroll related matters
- Maintain a high-functioning relationship with other Human Resources and Accounting team members to ensure transparency, efficiency, effectiveness, and integrity of payroll function
- Day-to-day payroll related accounting including creating journal entries, participation in month end close processes and account reconciliations for payroll related activities and accounts
- Implement financial, operational, and accounting key controls; including ensuring retention of applicable payroll documentation
- Assist with external audit coordination and PBC requests
Location and Travel
Nerdy is a remote-first company, meaning that for the vast majority of roles, our employees have the option to work remotely. Much like online learning affords Learners the ability to ignore geographical constraints and find the best Expert for their needs irrespective of location, we believe a remote-first orientation allows us the ability to access a significantly larger talent pool from which to hire, which can serve as a long-term competitive advantage.
The Payroll Manager role will be remote and will collaborate with company leadership based in St. Louis, MO, Seattle, WA and other U.S. locations.
- Healthcare Plans (Medical, Dental, Vision, Life)
- 401k Company Plan
- Remote Position, fully work from home (or wherever you like!)
- Flexible PTO plus a floating holiday
- Paid VTO ("volunteer time off" to do community service/charity work)
- 52 hours of Free Learning Sessions per year for you or your immediate family members
- Free access to our Virtual School Day classes and School@Home program
- Once in a lifetime opportunity to help revolutionize how the world learns!
- Fun, collaborative, and team-oriented work environment with plenty of training and a feedback rich culture
Varsity Tutors is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. (INDHP