Hi, I'm Heather, Head of People Operations at Customer.io. I'm looking for our first two People Partners to join our growing team!
As a People Partner, you will work collaboratively with managers, leadership, and the People Operations Team to support people programs and strategies that drive engagement and performance across your assigned teams. You'll serve as a trusted advisor to both managers and individual team members, providing coaching and support on all aspects of career development + performance management, engagement + retention, DEI, and long term planning, with the goal of retaining our high-performing team through continuous investment in their long-term development.
In this role, you will align our people programs with your assigned teams, with an eye towards impact, scalability, and sustainability as we grow and add new team members globally. Collaborating with the People Operations Team, you will help build upon our strong culture and empower everyone at Customer.io to do their best work.
Some things you'll do:
- Build trust with everyone on your team through regular touch points that help you learn more about how managers and individuals define success, and identify areas where support is needed
- Coach and support managers on various people-related issues, opportunities, and challenges including performance management, giving & receiving feedback, career development, team effectiveness, and team communication & dynamics
- Partner with managers and our Sr. People Operations Manager to create structured career paths for every role
- Evaluate our learning and training programs for impact, identify new development needs, and support continued career growth for both individual contributors and managers
- Create engagement (and other) surveys, analyze trends, and make recommendations for program and policy changes
- Advise managers on how to appropriately manage and resolve HR issues including performance improvement plans, separations, and conflict management
- Work with our People Operations Team to ensure that our policies, programs, and processes support our people-first culture
- Be active in our DEI initiatives and play a key role in creating a more diverse, accessible, equitable, and inclusive workplace
- Be a champion of our core values and help our people managers integrate these values into their daily work and decision-making
- Love building relationships and promoting our people-first culture
- Have been successful coaching managers and leaders on various people and team issues in a high-growth start-up
- See people as our greatest asset and bring enthusiasm and genuine human connection to your work
- Are a strong communicator and collaborator, with experience working cross-functionally across a broad set of skills, experiences, and time zones
- Have the ability to influence across the organization and make challenging concepts accessible to our team
- Enjoy talking about people dynamics, new business models, and talent processes
- Are adept at identifying problems, proposing solutions, and iterating on a process rather than seeking perfection
- Feel comfortable working independently and making decisions, but know when to escalate an issue or reach out for help
- Have experience fostering a growth mindset culture
- Are experienced with, or have a keen interest in organizational development
- Have some knowledge of HR and employment laws and regulations
- Are located in EDT/UTC-4 timezone in order to have some overlapping work time with the Americas and EMEA
Our mission at Customer.io is to power automated communication that people like to receive. Today over 2,900 internet businesses use Customer.io to manage, send, and track performance of email, SMS, and push notifications. Unlike typical marketing platforms, Customer.io helps businesses increase relevance by using behavioral data: what people do or don’t do when logged in to a web or mobile app.
We are offering a starting salary of $77,000 - $100,000 USD depending on experience and subject to market rate.
Benefits at Customer.io include:
- Unlimited PTO - we recommend 20 vacation days (in addition to holidays and sick days) so that you can unwind, unplug, and recharge
- 100% medical, dental, vision, and supplemental insurance for you and your dependents
- 12 weeks paid parental leave - for birth, adoption, or foster care
- 401k retirement matching - up to 5% dollar for dollar match to retirement contributions
- Health and wellness allowance - up to $200 USD per month that can be used for your healthy living needs, including gym membership, acupuncture, massage, or bike repairs
- Home office stipend - up to $2,000 USD to help you get your home office set up so you can do your best work
- Internet + cell phone reimbursement - up to $200 USD per month for your internet and cell phone plans
- Co-working space reimbursement - up to $300 USD per month for those times you'd prefer to work in a co-working environment
- Learning + development - up to $2,000 USD reimbursement per year to use on conferences, books, classes, workshops, and passion projects - anything that will help you develop your skills
- 1 month paid sabbatical after four years at Customer.io - to treat yourself to a vacation, or spend however you choose
- Company retreats twice a year - we typically get together IRL every spring and fall, but most recently had an amazing virtual retreat!
- Flexible schedule, work anywhere you want! - as long as you have a reliable internet connection and some overlapping work time with your manager, you can work where and when you want
All final candidates will be asked to complete an employment and education verification authorization form (which allows us to verify your job history and education listed on your resume) as part of our pre-employment process.
Customer.io recognizes the stifling impact of systemic injustice on diverse communities. We commit to using our influence to increase inclusion and equity within the tech industry. We strive to build an inclusive team culture, implement bias-free hiring practices, and develop community partnerships to expand our global impact.
Check out our careers page for more information about why you should come work with us! We are passionate about our core values of Empathy, Transparency, Responsibility, and Awkwardness and are looking for new coworkers to share and build that passion!
How to apply
Apply at the link below by 5pm PST August 20th and tell us why you're interested in the position! In your cover letter, be sure to tell us the title of the last book you read. There is no advantage to applying early so put your best foot forward. We plan to respond to all applicants by August 24th with a status update about your application.
Here's what you can expect from our hiring process:
- 30-minute video call with Symone, Recruiting Manager
- 45-minute video call with Cherylyn, Sr. People Operations Manager
- Take-home assignment (brief scenario write-up) to help us understand your thought process and evaluate your communication skills
- 45-minute video call with Heather, Head of People Operations
- 30-minute video call with two potential teammates (people managers with whom you'd partner)